“I’m BORED!” We’ve all said it or heard it one time or another during summer break. I remember my mom telling us that we couldn’t watch TV and now we as parents are telling our kids the same thing. “No screen time.” But as summer break goes on, we either find ourselves wanting the kids to watch some TV so we can unwind or we are exhausted from driving them to the hundreds of activities and camps they are involved in. We share some ways to have fun together as a family and beat the heat.
Don’t forget to enter our Summer Fun Giveaway by heading to our Instagram. Simply like the post on 7/3, like all the brands participating, leave a comment on your favorite summer activity and tag a friend for bonus.
(Giveaway ends 7/8 11:59PM PST. No purchase necessary. Open to US residents only. This giveaway is in not administered by Facebook or Instagram One winner will be selected at random to win all the prizes).
- Have a beach or park clean up party. Round up the family or some friends and do a little clean up at a local park, beach or community gathering spot. Give everyone a sand pail or bucket and have them fill them up. You can give prizes to those that fill up their basket first, find the biggest item, or find the most unusual item. Remember to remind your kids on what items to have an adult pick up. Afterwards, celebrate the clean-up by playing at the park or beach. You can even use those buckets to build sand castles and have a completion. We are loving the Beachmate system! It packs all of our sand toys, supplies and gear in one bag. Each of the buckets fits into one another or can be used to store everything. It also comes with two industrial strength plastic shovels, which are great for burying dad or digging dirt to set up the camp site. The buckets can be flipped over and used so that your cans or food don’t get sandy either. The sets can be personalized too, which is nice for a gift or if you want to make sure your stuff doesn’t get mixed up with another family’s.
- Go for a hike! We know you feel like telling your kids to take a hike, but get out and go for a hike as a family or with a group of friends. We love going to our favorite park to hike, but we also like checking out new places and calling it adventure day. Ask friends or check on-line for a fun, new spot. It could be a place with a secret swing, waterfall or a place with a breathtaking view. Pack a lunch and some snacks and make a mini-day of it. Remember to gauge what your family’s ability is. We love the Adventure series by pediped. Their shoes are known for healthy foot development and have officially been recognized by the American Podiatric Medical Association as being beneficial for growing children’s feet. We love that the Adventure series is waterproof and machine washable. Because as most of us know, the shoes and sandals end up smelling funky by the end of the summer because of sweaty feet and the mix of mud and sand. For our family, we prefer these athletic sandals over flip flops because of the support they provide to our son who loves to run!
- Splash around! Going to the beach, lake or pool is a great way to beat the summer heat. We know sometimes the production of going to any body of water can be more exhausting than when you started, so splashing around can be doing some fun water activities or games in the backyard or at the park. From running relay races through the sprinkler to playing baseball and sliding into home with a slip n’ slide, there are lots of fun ways to mix it up with water sports. Everyone loves a good water balloon toss or fight! Don’t forget to make sure to put on the sunscreen too. We love knowing our kids are safe from the sun in their Swimzip swimsuits. Each matching rashguard and bottom set is SPF 50! They come in short and long-sleeved rash guards. The prints and
styles are adorable. The best part is that they have a zipper down the front, which makes taking the wet rash guard off so much easier. They also have sets for men and women and some can even be coordinated with the kiddos. These are great outside of the water too. They are lightweight and can be worn to the park, on the boat, or just playing outside.
- Get some me time. We know this is easier said than done, but try and get some down time for yourself this summer. Whether it is grabbing coffee with a friend, going shopping by yourself, or just reading a book in the tub after the kids go to bed, it is important to recharge. We all know we are less irritable and frustrated when we get that hour to ourselves. One of the things we love doing when there is time is going for a coffee or walk with a friend. Oka-B has some cute sandals, wedges and flip flops that you can comfortably stroll in. There are lots of designs and colors to choose from. Best of all they are lightweight, water-resistant and eco-friendly.
- 1 Beachmate set
- 1 pair of pediped sandals
- 1 Swim Zip set
- 1 pair of Oka-B sandals or flip flops
We were given a Beachmate, pediped sandals, SwimZip, and Oka-B sandals for review. All of the thoughts and opinions are our own.